1st attempt at rubber stamp carving

I receive many questions relating to the stamping supplies I carry in The Haby Goddess online store so I thought it best I give it a go then I could answer them 1st hand.


  • Firstly you will need a rubber printing block plus some cutting tools.  There are two basic types, V-shaped & U-shaped.
  • Transfer or draw the image you want to carve onto the rubber block - remember all writing needs to be backward! Start with a simple shape or word to get the hang of it. 
  • You can use both side of the carving block.
  • Then with either a sharp knife or the edge of a carving tool, lightly cut around your outline. 
  • Something important that I read AFTER I had finished was the cut should be angled away from the design and not vertical.
  • Then carefully carve away the rubber from your design - you should only be left with the design you wish to print.
  • I was really suprised at how easy it carves - almost like butter!

In this instance I just used an ordinary fabric ink stamping pad and it worked fine.
Ok, it wasn't the greatest design or result in the world and it was quite time consuming BUT it was so relaxing and my girls were mesmerised watching me.  Miss 8 thought I was soooo clever!

3 comments:

Kawaii for You said...

Hi Jodie. I did mine the day I received my order and was surprised how well it turned out. I thought I'd be back to order another block... LOL. I'll post it on my blog when I get a chance. Christine xo

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Very cool! Thanks for the tutorial, never thought about making my own :)

Jodie @ The Haby Goddess said...

Christine, I would love to see your finished stamp. Let me know when the post is up.