Tutorial : Shirred Scarf



While I'm a massive fan of the chunky scarf and still wear the one I made last year (tutorial is the subscribers only ebook), I need a lighter one that can sit in the inside of my jacket. It's only one layer and relatively short at 150cm (59 inches) from point to point. You could very easily make this longer or join two pieces.

It takes no time at all to make.


I folded my fabric on the bias as it helps to give a small ruffled effect when the edges are rolled.
Cut one piece on the 150cm wide fold and measure 10cm (4 Inches) to make an 20cm wide (8 inches) piece when opened.
Once cut, trim the angle at both ends to match.

Add a rolled hem around the entire edge.  I used my overlocker (serger), try this link to a very old post I did for rolled hems. Alternatives for if you don't have an over locker are: folded hem (a narrow hem folded over twice and sewn with a row of straight stitch) or use a hemming foot attachment for your sewing machine. Here is the link for that tutorial.

Prepare your machine bobbin for shirring - and yes I have a tutorial for that too!
Sew a row of shirring around the entire scarf about 1cm in from the edge.  Finish where you started and tie off the shirring threads.
Sew a second row of bias about 0.5cm in from the first row. Tie off and you are done.

No comments: