Just winging it


Have you ever had an idea for a craft project that's swimming around in your head but you're not quite sure where to start, if you have the skills or if it will end up in the bin!

This is mine - a quilt for my daughters bed.  After much discussion on why she (or make that I) can not afford a double bed quilt plus postage from Anthropologie from the US, I offered to try and make her one with the oodles of fabric scraps I have laying about.

I have not quilted in my life and I am refusing to read any of the one million tutorials available online. I'm just going to wing it!  I kinda have a plan but mostly it's going to just happen (hopefully).

Have you had any luck with projects where you didn't really have a plan?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

somtimes yes and sometimes no :-)
Usually the binned projects were the ones where I hadn't properly prepared for properly or got a bit impatient-excited with in the process so rushed them to the finish instead of thinking things through! I am sure your (or your daughters) quilt will end up lovely, gorgeous and will be better than any store bought item because her Mum will have made it!!

trudi@maudeandme said...

Call it improvisiing, muddling or winging it, but I do it often. Or I call it "mistake learning" -that is learning by my mistakes. I have a post tomorrow where I mention this.

Rie said...

That's the story of my life!!! AND, I've seen a few blog sites dedicated to imitating the style of Anthropologie!! Good luck with the quilt - if it starts to look dodgy add applique!!

Fussy Eater's Mum said...

My "winging it" projects usually are not as good as my thought out projects. So I'm trying to not experiment more than I have to.

I'm just finishing an Amy Butler quilt. I'm hand quilting because I wasn't confident to wing it with my sewing machine. I know it will be beautiful, but my patience is wearing thin.

Good luck with your quilt!

CurlyPops said...

I love winging it...
I really think that sometimes you can intuitively work out a way to make something that suits your skills much better than following a 'set of rules'.
Can't wait to see your 'no rules' quilt!

Marina said...

I like to "wing" and sometimes it works and sometimes goes pear shaped! That's life, I guess..... Good luck with the quilt!