I received an email from Anne-Marie of Return to Eden, asking for a tutorial on doing a simple placket opening on a dress/top like this divine Love ST dress from Gold Coast designer Tara Fletcher.
It is a really simple alteration that can be adapted to any pattern with a solid front cut on the fold.
- When cutting your front fabric piece on the fold, add a small notch at the fold to match with your placket
- Using a piece of tracing paper, trace the neckline shape and include notch
- Finish the rest of your placket pattern by taking it down as far as you would like the opening to be. This is also depend on how low your neckline is.
- The bottom of the placket pattern can be round or square. It can also be much wider than the one I have done.
- Cut out your placket pattern and place it on the fold of fabric and cut 1
- Check that the notches match and it is the right length & width.
- Finish off the raw edges by either overlocking or using your zig zag stitch
- Place your placket on top of your fabric. Right sides together.
- Draw in two stitching lines and curve the bottom. I have made quite a large curve but it doesn't need to be this big. If you want it smaller, taper the bottom of the lines.
- Stitch around the line marking