Today I did something I never normally do - I aborted a project half way through.
Here's the story.....
Beth has started year 7 at a new school this year and as a result has made lots of new friends, some of which are very creative. Beth comes home and produces the above pair of shorts (image is hers) and explains that she wants them made into a pencil case. It's to be lined with a zipper, have ribbons through the belt & appliques sewn all over the front panels.
Ok....it's seems like a cute enough & doable project so I gather my things & set to work.
Problem 1: Denim shorts have a lot of thick seams that you need to sew through. It's tough work on your machine - don't even bother getting the overlocker out.
Problem 2: After denim has been worn a number of times it stretches so the crotch area didn't sit flat or even.
Problem 3: I don't do zips very well at the best of times - inserting a zip into a thick denim waist with a lining was way beyond me!
Problem 4: When I cut & sewed the bottom closed it all puckered due to problem 2.
It was really trying my patience and I could see that the end result was not one that I was going to be happy with.
In the bin it went.....and on went the kettle.
I hope your sewing endeavours today are a little bit more successful than mine.