How to use a Seam Allowance Guide


If you've ever had to add a seam allowance to a pattern you will know how time consuming it can be.
Japanese pattern books, Burda patterns or drafting your own are the main offenders.
This awesome little gadget will drastically reduce your cutting out time.

Designed by Melbourne based Hollie, the 'Seam Allowance Guide' is a strong magnet that sits on your scissor blade while you cut your fabric.

There are two different magnets.  The yellow is slightly sloped for scissors that have an angled blade (like mine) and the green magnet is for straight blade. The pack includes both.


Measure and mark a starting point with a piece of tailors chalk where your seam allowance should be. This will be the only marking you will need to do.

Place your scissors at your chalked mark.
Roll the little black ring until it sits on the edge of your fabric. Cut! 
It is such a simple gadget that really does work.  
Japanese pattern books here I come!

Available now in The Haby Goddess online store
(I would like to thank Anna for bringing these gadgets to my attention!)

4 comments:

Melissa Antolovic said...

what a cool gadget

Maryanne said...

I love this little gadget. I have had one for a while and use it every time I trace off a Japanese pattern.

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

I've never seen those, so cool!!!

Unknown said...

That is so cool, I'll be getting one of those from you.
X Kerri