Using your hemming foot attachment


Had a spare moment today to have another play with my sewing machine attachments. This time it was the hemming foot. This is such a nifty little gadget. I have a very basic Janome sewing machine but I'm sure most machines will come with an attachment very similar.

Foot attaches in the normal way.

Beginning with you fabric in the hemming foot is probably the trickiest part - I used an unpicker to thread fabric through into position.

The hem is only about 2mm in width.

Would be great to use to edge fabric which easily fray or just to add a decorative edge.

3 comments:

Bree said...

OMG! Thank you! I need one now!

Unknown said...

I would love to know how not to get bits of the fabric edge peeking out from the sewn rolled hem on the underside - am I trying to feed the fabric too widely through the roller or is it just that I really can't sew a straight line? Love your tips HG :)

Jodie @ The Haby Goddess said...

Liz, the fabric needs to be feeding evenly with enough width that the fabric folds overs & the stitch catches it. It definitely takes practice so I would suggest playing around on scraps to see what is the perfect width to feed it :)