I remember all to vividly mum sewing for me as a teenager - massive hissy fits were sure to follow. Like the time she made my Year 7 high school uniform, or when she exchanged the baby pink cotton I wanted knitted into a little cardi for musty pink 8 ply wool - I'm amazed I can even function as an adult after such trauma!!!!
I have stayed clear of sewing for my girls now 8 & 12, but at my husband's recent 40th, our niece wore an very cute (& very basic) little skirt that she had made herself. So Miss 12 is now on the sewing bandwagon, wanting me to make a set of these cute skirts like her cousin's - one for each day of the week! So while we look for fabrics, here's 10 great idea's for crafting for tweens & teens without scarring them for life!!!
- Pj Bottoms - even the coolest teens need these! This Make it Perfect pattern is now available in The Haby Goddess online store.
- What girl, at any age, doesn't love hair accessories? So try this Heather Bailey tutorial on making a headband.
- Who can go wrong with a notebook cover tutorial? This PDF tutorial is by Heart of Mary
- Ok, so you are feeling a little more confident your sewing won't cause hissy fits, you can now move on to this bubble skirt pattern by Hyperart !
- This oldie but goodie from Mildy Crafty will make any bedroom comfy with this detailed cushion cover tutorial.
- If you are a knitter and not a sewer, don't despair - here's a great scarf pattern that all Misses will love.
- With the amount of electronic devices young people have these days, make a phone or ipod case. They are very simple and you can use up scrap pieces of fabric you have laying around. This pattern is from Pacific Designs on Etsy.
- Fabric bracelets are so quick & easy that even the tweens & teens could have a go themselves. A cuff PDF tutorial from Edythe Anne.
- Brooches can be made to add to hats, shoes or bags. Use fabric covered buttons, yo-yo's or felt. Bella Symphony has put together a PDF tutorial on making this great brooch.
- Bags would have to be the most sure fire winner when sewing for tweens & teens. They can never have enough & there are tons of patterns & tutorials available. Try this messenger bag pattern by Keykalou