A readers question: When to change the needles in your sewing machine

Often when your sewing machine doesn't seem to be sewing right it may just be that your needles need changing or they are the incorrect needle type for the fabric or thickness you are trying to sew.

Some of the most common signs that your needle needs changing is when:
  1. It skips stitches
  2. The tip is no longer sharp (the point is blunt) so the fabric is difficult to sew
  3. The needle is bent

Synthetic fabrics, pvc's and heavy fabrics will blunt the needle more quickly so they need changing more often. A blunt needle or one that has a burr (a rough spot) can cause the thread to break or snag fabric.

5 comments:

beachvintage.com said...

I have yet to change one, but my machine is only 5 months old. But thanks for the tips on when to do it.

Jo said...

Thank you! I'm going to have to look at my needles carefully now to see if they are bent. I never understood what I was looking for after reading my machine's instruction manual.

Miss Cinti - my poppet said...

I usually manage to break mine before the other stuff happens.

Rie said...

Hmmm, I've had my sewing machine for about 10 years & I've never changed the needle yet. AND I hate my sewing machine & it hates me.... Hmmmm, maybe I should try & change the needle!!!!! Maybe that is the root of all our problems!

Unknown said...

I was taught to change the needle for each new project , that is what I was told but it doesn't mean I do it , lol ! Your tips are very helpful , thankyou .